Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2015

5 Easy & Inexpensive Ways to Liven Up Your Kitchen: Spring Edition


This week I was really inspired to liven up my kitchen with all things Spring. I wanted to bring soft, earthy colors into the room without taking away from the clean, natural light it already has. I also didn't want to break the bank either. Here are 5 super easy & inexpensive ways to achieve this that encompass every area of your kitchen. 

#1: Stovetop Decor
I've always found this area to be particularly difficult to "style". I didn't want to go to typical route with chickens, salt & pepper shakers, pigs, chef caricatures...or anything else cheesy. And leaving it bare just makes the kitchen look unloved. I wanted something classic & clean...I know - big shocker coming from me! ;) You will need the following materials:
Wood Crate - Michaels: $1.00; Glass Vase - Hobby Lobby: $1.00; Paint - Michaels: $0.69; Baby's Breath - Michaels: $0.75
Decorative Cup - Home Goods: $2.99; Flowers - Misc. Leftover Flowers
Paint the basket with white paint. I ran out of paint sponges so I actually those eyeshadow sponges every self-respected makeup lover detests - Free & works just as well :)
While that's drying, "prune" some of the Baby's breath stems & place in the glass vase. Discard the cork and place in the crate.
Next, place the flowers in the decorative cup. Use flowers that match/complement the color theme of your kitchen. These were some leftover flowers I had from previous craft projects. You could also buy a plain, inexpensive glass jar for $1-2 and paint it white to achieve this.
Done!

#2 Shelf Decor
This piece perfectly adds to the natural light in the room. The rustic bird & birdcage accentuate the worn shelf.
Birdcage - Michaels: $4.00; Bird - Hobby Lobby: $2.00; Vase - Michaels: $2.00; Flowers - Misc. Leftovers
#3 Kitchen Counter
There is this hideous phone jack in our kitchen that I absolutely hate. If you have an area like this in your kitchen simply hang a Spring succulent piece in its place, add some necessary Bath & Body Works Spring lotions, and done.
Succulent - Michaels: $0.75 on clearance
#4 Kitchen Bar
This arrangement was featured in a previous blog post of mine, so for all the DIY details I will link that here. The only thing I changed was swapping out Winter branches for Spring flowers :)
Flowers - Michaels: $2.50
#5 Kitchen Island
I've always wanted an orchid, but have you seen how ridiculously overpriced they are?! I mean $20-$40 for something that is eventually going to die is just crazy. So I made one that looks just as good for only $10.00! But just to keep you coming back for more, I'm going to feature this in my next DIY blogpost so stay tuned! Consider this a sneak peak ;)
Orchids - Hobby Lobby: $2.00 each; Vase - Michaels: $4.00; Succulent - Michaels: $2.00
 xx,
Jessica






No comments:

Post a Comment