Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

DIY Garden Series: Repurposed Pallet in 6 EASY STEPS!

Last summer I acquired 3 pallets from a pave-stone order & have been dying to use them in my garden. There's definitely a hype around recycling old wood pallets at the moment. You've all seen them - the numerous Pinterest tutorials on how to go about re-purposing a pallet into many, many things. So for the past year I have been Pinterest-pinning like crazy anything pallet-related. However, none of the tutorials were very helpful. I found that my pallet was different from most, specifically the way the back was structured - to hold heavy duty things. If you find that you also do not have an ordinary, standard-built pallet as portrayed in most other tutorials, I hope this tutorial helps you :) This is also perfect for utilizing the most amount of space in a small backyard!

I plan on using the first pallet as a herb garden, the second for cascading vines, & the third for succulents. I will post updated photos when growth actually occurs, but I didn't want to wait till then to get this tutorial up knowing my green-thumb gardeners will be seeking out this tutorial right about now! So without further ado, lets jump right in!

You will need the following materials:
Safety goggles - wear throughout the entire project!!!
Gloves - wear throughout the entire project!!!
Hand saw - use caution!!!
Hammer - use caution!!!
3-1x5 Cedar Planks (Cedar is moderately rot-resistant & very inexpensive)
Nails:

Step One: Using a hammer, remove every other panel.
 
Front - Before
Front - After




 Step Two: Remove the 2nd and 4th panels. Also remove the middle beams using a saw.
Back - Before

Back - After
Step Three: Take the panels that you discarded in the previous step and place as shown in the 2 images below. If you could not salvage any panels, using a 1x5 cedar plank & trimming it to fit the corresponding area will work just as well.
Step Four: Now for the bases. Since I ran out of scrap wood, I trimmed & used 3-1x5 cedar planks to act as the base for each row.
Secure each base to the pallet by driving a nail through each side, as shown:
Can you see the nail-head? :)

Step Five: There will inevitably be some gaps within each row of the pallet. Since you don't want any soil to fall through, stuff these gaps with plant liner. Tiny gapes are find & don't need to be stuffed since there does need to be some drainage. You can use landscaping fabric, but I find that plant liner looks the most natural & earthy.


Step Six: Choose your herbs, fill each row with potting soil, sow your seeds, and the waiting game begins!

Link me to pictures of any pallets you've repurposed & comment below telling me if you found this tutorial useful :) Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment