Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

DIY Garden Series: Wood Flower Box


This year is my second year having a garden....or to be more specific - second chance. I made a lot of rookie mistakes last year & also added things to my 'garden wish list' a little too close to Fall. So I'm determined to get it right this year, or at the very least have one thing survive. And you know me - there's no better way to start the gardening season off than by making something to call your own :) 

Materials:
4-1'x6' Cedar fence planks
Deck screws (You can use regular screws, but they will eventually rust)
Safety glasses
Power drill
Power saw
Gloves
Clamp

I decided to use cedar fencing because it is moderately rot-resistant and very inexpensive ($1.28 each @ Lowe's!). Not to mention it smells amazing!! 
I overestimated the amount of material needed & only ended up using 4 of the 6 fence planks.
Cut the top portion off
Then cut into 3' pieces
Take one of the planks and cut FIVE 8" pieces (shown below). Take three of those five pieces and cut them in half vertically (image not shown).
Make two 90 degree angles, as shown.
Secure to each other toward the bottom using a screw.

Take an 8" wood pieces and secure as shown. Do the same to the opposite end.
Add a second level by taking those 8" pieces you vertically cut in half and place them as shown at all corners.

Add additional support to the bottom.

And your done! You can add a paint if you wish, but I liked the natural coloring of the cedar - looks more home-y :)

Now time for the fun part - the flowers :) I didn't feel the need to drill holes in the bottom for extra drainage because there is enough spacing between the planks anyway.
Finished :)
 I especially love the coloring of the wood after a rain storm :)



2 months later...

No comments:

Post a Comment