Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

How To: *Rustic Window* Using Dollar Store Picture Frames!

I was shopping at my local antique flea markets last week and I kept stumbling across old windows. I loved how they looked. Thoughts of serenity in my dream cottage away from it all kept coming to mind. I felt a timeless comfort whenever I looked at one. I knew I had to have one, but they were so pricey!  I couldn't justify spending that much. Not to mention they were so incredibly heavy - talk about a fear of a "you break it, you buy it!" situation. In today's tutorial I present to you my cost-effective solution to the aforementioned home decor dilemma...And did I mention I found all my materials at the Dollar Store??! $60-200 dollars for the original OR $4 for something that looks just as good? I'll let you be the judge ;)

You will need the following materials:
4 - 5x7 picture frames from the Dollar Store
duck tape
super glue
white acrylic paint
sponge brush
light grit sandpaper
 
Take your frames & discard the backings. You can also place the glass frames off to the side.
Connect your frames together on the back with duck tape. Make sure the tape is not visible from the front. (**I did three across here because initially I thought I was going to do a 3x2 window. I later changed my mind and did a 2x2 window instead.)
Flip over and apply super glue to the places you applied duck tape, as shown.

Now time to paint it. When the superglue has completely dried, apply 1-2 coats of white acrylic paint. Distress with sandpaper for more of a tattered, worn look.
Return the glass pieces back to each frame and VoilĂ ! - you now have your makeshift rustic window!
I placed mine behind these refinished, antique glass bottles I found at a flea market. As you can see, the window adds depth & dimension to the glass bottles.
vs.
What I love about this tutorial is that you can customize it to whatever your vision is - bigger, smaller, taller, different paint finishes/colors - and it won't break the bank! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment